Global_Environmental_Research_Vol.27No.1
55/80

1. Introduction 1 School of Medicine and Public Health, Ateneo de Manila University 2 Department of Hygiene, Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido University 1.1 Background and Context Global Environmental Research 27/2023 49-60 printed in Japan Don Eugenio Lopez Sr. Medical Complex Ortigas Avenue, Brgy Ugong, 1604 Pasig City, Philippines Key words: agricultural burning, air pollution modeling, biomass burning, health, public health, Kita 15, Nishi 7, Kita-ku, Sapporo, 060-8638, Japan *E-mail: seposo.xerxestesoro@pop.med.hokudai.ac.jp Biomass burning is the main source of air pollution in many countries and has been strongly linked to many morbid and mortal health outcomes. This scoping review aims to explore the current and emerging approaches linking health and air pollution from biomass burning. A literature search through PubMed was conducted to identify studies linking health and air pollution from biomass burning through the use of air quality data collection methods. A total of 197 studies were initially found, but after screening, only 57 studies were included. The most common methodology employed for air quality data was through atmospheric transport models (specifically GEOS-Chem) (59.65%), followed by remote sensing through satellite imaging (50.88%), then by direct site monitors (33.33%). A single approach was used by 56.14%, while the rest employed a blended approach (43.86%), likely due to the inherent limitations of each data collection method, necessitating supplementary or novel approaches. However, the bulk of existing literature uses methods that are calibrated for the global north (75.44%), leaving behind the global south, which bears the brunt of air pollution health impacts due to its socioeconomic and geographic vulnerabilities, worsened by climate change. There is a need to recalibrate or validate these models to increase the reliability of results for the global south, as well as explore the possibility of further developing these air pollution modeling initiatives to not only contribute to surveillance, but directly further policy development and public health programming (i.e., the creation of early warning systems). vegetation burning In recent decades, there has been a noticeable spike in the incidence of biomass burning and open burning on a global scale. It is the largest source of black carbon globally at 42% (Yao et al., 2023). Central to this surge is the compounding influence of climate change (Adams and Kanaroglou, 2016; Albertson et al., 2010; Reddington et al., 2021). Biomass burning in agricultural settings, often used as a land management or agricultural practice, has intensified in response to changing climate conditions, especially in tropical regions, causing serious air quality issues in East Asia (Adrianto et al., 2019; Johnson et al., 2020; Sheldon and Sankaran, traditional Sary VALENZUELA1, Keith Alexius WANGKAY1 Xerxes SEPOSO*1,2 and Geminn Louis C. APOSTOL1 Abstract 2017). Farmers, particularly in regions with subsistence agriculture, resort to controlled burning to clear fields, eliminate pests and enhance soil fertility (Reddington et al., 2021). As climate change amplifies droughts and extends the fire season, these controlled burns can quickly escalate into widespread burning, engulfing vast tracts of land, homes and infrastructure, necessitating mass evacuations and overwhelming firefighting efforts. High temperatures, dry conditions, increased lightning strikes and other extreme weather events increase the vulnerability of forests (>200 hectares) to large fires and the frequency of these fires (Gaboriau et al., 2023). Such wildfires result in a cascading array of public health consequences, from acute injuries and respiratory illnesses to long-term ©2023 AIRIES 49 Exposure Assessment of Biomass Burning: A Scoping Review on Current and Emerging Approaches

元のページ  ../index.html#55

このブックを見る